Our experienced R&D laboratory customizes formulations using the latest technologies and ingredients on the market let us explain what it means to be a cosmetic formulation lab.
Research and development
Professional R&D staff are on hand to assist you in creating formulations tailored to your unique needs, using the following methods:
• Pharmaceutical-grade ingredients.
• Use Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) in accordance with FDA’s Title 21 Code of Regulations to ensure the highest quality product.
• Personalized, exclusive, and innovative product development.
• Copy market products for customization.
• Ongoing research and analysis of the latest trends and developments in health and beauty.
Advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic formulation labs
The Cosmetic Formulation Lab focuses on creating custom formulations for you and your brand. The purple I was talking about? Any cosmetic formulation lab can do it! Some are better than others, some are worse.
Whether it’s reverse engineering or clean beauty, get ready to make your dreams come true!
What are the benefits of a cosmetic formulation lab?
After the whole process, you have the recipe and you can do whatever you want with it. Some cosmetic formulation labs will ask you to use them for manufacturing, but this is not always the case. So, don’t hesitate to take this formula and run it!
You can take it to different manufacturers to find the one with the best price.
What are the disadvantages of a cosmetic formulation lab?
Custom formulations can be expensive, especially when the desired formulation is difficult.
For example, it’s fairly easy to follow Sephora’s guidelines for clean beauty products, but it’s much harder to follow Whole Foods guidelines, which means it’s more expensive. Confused? Read more in our Navigate Clean: Create Your Own Clean Beauty Brand.
Make sure you know which cosmetic formulation lab to work with.
Some only focus on makeup or skincare, not both. Some cosmetic formulation labs use hair care formulations, and some even handle pet grooming! Finding a formulation Partner is not easy because it all depends on what you want.
Our article The Perfect Cosmetic Lab in Korea (and other cosmetic labs) can help you find a cosmetic formulation lab.
Once you find a cosmetic formulation lab, you need to understand the process. It’s not as quick as heating up a can of soup in a few minutes in the microwave. Instead, you cook a 16-pound turkey that takes hours to complete.
Below is a high-level list of the four steps involved in custom wording. Not all cosmetic formulation labs follow these four steps exactly, some have more, some have fewer, but the basics are explained.
Most cosmetic formulation labs start by filling out a contact form and making an introductory call.
The form allows the cosmetic formulation lab to understand what you want to create, while the phone allows you to speak with real people who can answer all your questions.
You will also be informed of the displayed price. Reminder: Custom wording can be expensive depending on your needs.
- Hopefully the Cosmetic Formulation Lab will start formulating for you right away! It varies from lab to lab, but a good cosmetic formulation lab will always send you samples so you can provide feedback. This process is slower than the first step and can take several months.
- Testing is the longest step in custom formulations. If your product lists water as an ingredient, it must pass the Preservative Efficacy Test (PET) and Stability Test.
If water isn’t an ingredient, it’s just a stability test for you! PET takes about 4 weeks and is stable for up to 24 weeks. Our article, Can you pass the cosmetic test? , with more information on testing.
- Once the Cosmetic Formulation Lab has your custom formula ready and tested, you’re ready to go! The best thing about cosmetic formulation labs is that you usually don’t need to use them for manufacturing.
- After you create a formula, you can take it to any makeup artist you want!
Sourcing Lab as your cosmetic formulation lab
- Remember how I said some labs only offer makeup or skincare? Well, Sourcing-Lab has skills in both! Did I mention how easy it is to customize a recipe with us? Our custom wording guide has more information, but here is a brief description of the procurement lab process.
CONFUSED ABOUT COSMETIC FORMULATION?
Fill out our form on our website to get started with your customized inquiry.